Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Who is evil? Am I evil? Are you?

Webster's Dictionary defines evil as:

adj. 1. morally bad or wrong; wicked; depraved - resulting from or based on conduct regarded as immoral 2. causing pain or trouble; harmful; injurious 3. offensive or disgusting 4. threatening or bringing misfortune; unlucky; disastrous; unfortunate

n. 1. anything morally bad or wrong; wickedness; depravity; sin 2. anything that causes harm, pain, misery, disaster, etc.

It surprised me that "sin" was included in the definition. The word "sin" seems to be used less and less by churched people and totally avoided by the general public. So what is the definition of sin?

n. 1. an offense against God, religion, or good morals - the condition of being guilty of continued offense against God, religion, or good morals 2. an offense against any law, standard, code, etc.


So sin - by definition - is not limited to the church. It is an offense to any society. It is an act against "good morals".

Evil is any offense that is morally wrong and results in pain, misery or is harmful in any way.


I chose this topic because I bet you are wondering who is this Debbie Jansen and why should I trust her?

We have become an electronic society. Too many people no longer talk in person - but rather send a text message on their blueberry. We are slowly losing our intuitive skills to look into a person's eyes and see their soul. But why is that so important?

Everything that you are - everything that I am goes on inside us. Motive is everything. What we show to the world can be very deceiving. We always dress up a little to impress those we are around. We censure ourselves or we dress for the occasion. It's only a very select few (and sometimes not even those) that we allow to see and know all of our inner thoughts.

Why are there so many divorces? Because with every passing moment we learn to hide a little more of who we are. Most people - even after dating for a long time - do not show their future spouse who they are. One young lady shocked me by saying that she knew on the second day of her honeymoon that she had made a mistake.....and she had dated him for four years prior to the wedding. Wow!

Why do so many children hurt and disappoint their parents? Because the parents never understood or tried to parent the inner child. Their only concern was to have a less stressful home and get through the day, so rules not thoughts were important. Without addressing the inner struggles of the child they missed true parenting. Here's a quote from my class "Parenting from within"

"We must control from inside the child not by placing rules on the outside. If we demand that a child keep our rules without understanding why those rules are necessary, without accepting and questioning their purpose - then the moment he leaves the parent, he will do what he wants and break every rule we have requested. After all, if he doesn't believe those rules are valid and views them as a nonsense and frustration - why would he continue to voluntarily adhere to the rule? Only when you have convinced the child from birth and with every action along the way that you and he are trying to navigate this complicated life together with truth and dignity - only then do you have the hope that he will respond to situations with his "own values and good will". Only then are you parenting from within."

How can you trust Debbie Jansen? I'll tell you the same thing I've told my children for the last 30 years. I'm on a quest for truth. I want to live a truly Godly life and in every situation bring my own desires under the control of biblical values, love and compassion and do only what is best for the family and ultimately our society. I strive to be all God wants me to be and to treat others in such a way as to set them free to be all God wants them to be.

Unfortunately there are times when the harsh commands of biblical principles must be followed. Even in those times I must guard myself and not let "sin" take over. Every person living on this planet has a tendency for sin. We must guard ourselves and protect our inner thoughts from the pull of sin. We must make sure that every action is "what Jesus would do."

There were times when Jesus showed total compassion. He wouldn't allow an incredibly sinful woman to be stoned. He held children and had compassion on the sick. He cast out demons and set people free.

But in one translation (I'll get that for you later) it said that Jesus "sighed" at the disbelief and stupid statements of not only the crowds but his disciples. He cursed a fig tree for not producing. He overturned tables in the temple and he blasted the pharisees calling them snakes and vipers.

Was Jesus Evil?

Absolutely not. I believe that being the son of God he was able to see through a person's eyes into their soul and their inner thoughts. That allowed him to treat each person differently according to their "motives". While he protected the fallen woman he demanded that the rich man sell all he had before coming to Jesus - why? He knew he would never reach that soul unless he first could let go of wealth. It was the rich man's motive.

Why do I believe that Paris Hilton should be made to serve her entire sentence? Of course I don't have the full facts, but it appears even from what I do know that she is not "repentant" or remorseful or even willing to acknowledge that she broke the rules. If she is allowed to continue to snub the police - she may one day drive under the influence and kill someone. It is proper and right of the police to stop this "now!" It is proper and right of the police to do what her parents have not done and force her to respect authority. It is for the safety of those around her that she learn her lesson. That's hard to do at her age - but it should have been done at age three. Sorry Paris.

I made the statement once that I believe every evil problem (with the exception of medical problems) in this world can be traced to bad parenting. A few people took offense to that. I know it's difficult to accept the fact that once you are presented with that sweet little child that "YOU" will determine his life. Yes he will make his own choices - but duh! those choices will be shaped by how you treat him. Woah!!!

There is no perfect child and no perfect parent. I have made lots of mistakes. But I refuse to accept that as a goal or simply pass the responsibility to others. I fully accept my mistakes and even now try to help my children overcome the problems I've caused.

Why would I say in my article "Americans will have to die" that I believe the Muslim faith is in direct opposition to American Freedoms and that we would be irresponsible to elect a Muslim to the presidency? Am I evil? Am I another bible waving dogmatic zealot?

No I'm not. I'm on a quest for truth. And the truth is that Muslims are more dedicated to their faith than anyone on the planet. I don't care if Obama publicly says he loves everyone. I don't care if he joins a Baptist church. He refused to take his oath of office on the Bible. That says it all. That says his allegiance is to the Muslim faith. And when he must decide if a Christian principle is to be stripped from this nation - he will have no problem finding a way to rationalize the bill or law and he will do it!

If a Muslim were to move next door to me, my faith would tell me that I needed to be kind and loving. I would talk with them and never cause them harm. My Bible tells me to love everyone and to accept them where they are. But my Bible also tells me to be wise and to understand who people really are and act accordingly.

Therefore, if they constantly argue with me and are mad and irritated because I'm a Christian, I need to pay attention. If I hear them say things against Christianity or have a problem when I support the war against terrorism - I will be cautious. And if they intend to force their faith on me or my children by constant unwanted confrontations - I will be cautious. And if war is declared here in America and all Muslims are being encouraged to kill Christians - I will arm myself for protection.

The Bible is so different from the Muslim faith. Goggle "Koran quotes". You will find millions. Here's just one.

(3) The Koran commands Muslims to fight Jews and Christians

"Fight against those who believe not in Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (Muhammad) and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (Islam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued" (Surah At-Taubah 9:29).
Jizyah is a special high tax to be paid only by Jews or Christians who do not want to renounce their religion and convert to Islam.

(4) The Koran commands Muslims to fight non-Muslims until they exterminate all other religions and Islam would be the only religion in the world.

"And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah) and (all and every kind of) worship is for Allah (along)..." (Surat Al-Baqarah 2:193).
Fundamentalists divide the world into two camps, Dar Al-Harb (Camp of war) where Jews and Christians live, and Dar Al-Sallam (Camp of peace where Muslims live. They believe that Holy War against those who live in the camp of war should continue until they are exterminated. Fundamentalists dream of a global Islamic empire and they believe that if they destroy America and the western countries, that they will achieve this dream.

So, Muslims are told by their God to kill anyone that doesn't believe in Allah.

This is in direct contrast to the picture of Jesus as he stands at the door and patiently knocks. He isn't forcing his way in. He isn't yelling or demanding. He wants conversion to be an inner determination on your part that His way is best. Jesus teaches us to love our enemies and to do good to those that persecute us.

Unfortunately what the world doesn't understand is that Evil is a conqueror. Evil cannot be submissive. It must conquer. And if the compassionate and loving people of this world can't wrap their minds around the fact that there is a time for an honorable loving, compassionate person to go to war - WE WILL BE CONQUERED. And that's why some Americans will die. If we don't grasp the "truth" of this concept, the world will watch a few struggling Christians try to fight and we will fail. We need to find a way to convince those around us, those in power that our society cannot continue to be free unless we are willing to pay the price for that freedom.

That may mean some innocent Muslims and innocent Mexicans and innocent spoiled brats will be hurt. War isn't easy and it isn't black and white.

I'm trying to be very transparent with all of you. I want you to know me. I want you to be able to trust me. I want to tell you my inner thoughts. I want you to know how I ache for complicated situations that may cause some people to be hurt. I want you to see that I want truth. I also want compassion and love to guide my steps. But truth demands that evil not be allowed to conquer.

I never took pleasure in punishing my children. I never felt like I was on a power trip when I took a child to the couch for a lecture on life. My only goal was to give them "a better life". My only goal was to make this country a little better by the lives of three young people who were dedicated to wisdom, truth and honorable lives.

Now here's the really tough question. Edmund Burke stated, "All that evil needs to succeed is that good men do nothing."

If we do nothing, say nothing, remain quiet and hope it all goes away. If we refuse to parent our children to be honorable and to be heroes - are we evil because we allowed evil to succeed?

Tough lesson huh?

I am praying for all of you. I am praying for America. I am truly praying for all the innocent precious Muslims who don't know or can't see the future of this destructive faith. I am praying for all my Christian friends who are scared and clinging to their own destructive behaviors. Remember this - I love you and God loves you even more. Please think about this entry and let me know what you think. Your comments are important to me and to others who read this blog.
You have a voice - don't hide it under a bushel.

God loves you,

Debbie

No comments: