Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Here's a great recipe for a busy Saturday

I received this recipe from Cori Schrader. She is a talented mother, a hard worker and a wonderful singer/songwriter.

She works nights and daytime with her busy family can be difficult to navigate. She writes:

It's 10 AM and I worked all night so my bedtime is soon! As for the recipe...I serve a lot of "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun" (McDonald's) - America's Roast Beef (Arby's) - the Chihuahua's food (Taco Bell) - Mr. Sander's best (KFC), etc.

With my sleep/work schedule and getting tired of hearing someone always say "I don't like that!" at EVERY meal..., I kind of lost a desire to make home cooked meals. I know I am not doing my family any favors by hiring the fast food chefs. I guess I do have one favorite desert I/we like, it just doesn't get made very often in this house!

Here it is..."Magic Pumpkin Buckle" From the Kitchen of : Cori's Kitchen...yeah right!!!

CRUST: 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

FILLING: 3 cups pumpkin
1 cup evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon EACH of ground ginger, cloves and nutmeg

TOPPING: 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 tablespoons sugar

CRUST: Pour butter into a 13"x9"x2" baking dish; set aside. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour into the pan/dish.

FILLING: In a mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin (poor pumpkin!), milk and eggs. Combine the remaining filling ingredients; add to pumpkin mixture. Pour over crust mixture (do not stir).

TOPPING: Dot with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean and top is golden brown. YIELD: 12 servings.

A neighbor shared a helping of her batch but it was more the consistency of brownies! Still tasted good enough for me to ask for the recipe. In fact, I thought they were SUPPOSED to turn out that way until I made some myself. One of us definitely did something different than the other!

Anyway, I think what my family liked about this recipe besides the good taste, is that the crust (which you remember went into the pan first) rises to the top during baking forming a rich topping. My kids really thought that was cool when they were younger!

How Cool Cori! I remember busy days when I went the route of "two all beef patties". I think we have all been there and done that. With the way you work perhaps there is more benefit in going that route than it is to lose you to a day of cooking.

Thanks for the fun recipe! Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday and keep those stories coming!

God loves you,

Debbie

No comments: