Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Monday, February 2, 2009

Are you committed to your parenting goals?

I have a long list of things to do today. Work is pressing in and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get it all done. I may be up for a long time tonight.

Yet.....I'm going to take an hour and complete a project for my child that will elevate his/her self-esteem.

"Why would you do that? Won't they understand that you are busy? Especially with Ron so sick, couldn't you just give them a quick call?"

Yes, of course my child would understand. All three of my children are adults and busy with their own jobs. They understand that some things must wait for a better day.

BUT....my goals as a parent can't be realized by putting this off.

"Huh?"

One of my biggest parenting goals has always been for my children to know that they come first. You can say it 1,000 times - but just like any other relationship - if you mess up once.....if you put something off too long.....if you aren't there when they need you.....That's the time they will remember. I wish our brains worked differently, but they don't. Missed chances will always stick out in our minds.

At Thanksgiving and Christmas we sit around the table for hours talking about all the funny little things that have happened over the years. We all have a great relationship and my children remember so many terrific times together.

But when they are hurt, when they are having a hard time - just like every other child or adult - they remember those difficult times in the past. I don't ever want them to remember a difficult time when I wasn't there. If I stop when I'm really busy and take time for them - that's huge in their minds. They know that I am committed 100% to helping them navigate through this life.

Know why I'm so determined?

"Why?"

Because I've listened to them recall times when I missed the ball and it not only hurts them, it makes me wonder what their life could have been if I had been on top of the situation.

REMEMBER: There is no perfect parent and no perfect child.

Debbie Jansen is not perfect. I have made a ton of mistakes. But my goal....MY GOAL is to try very hard not to make any more.

So...what are your parenting goals? Are you staying true to them? Are you sharing your life with your children or do you just happen to live with them?

You can change the world by the decisions you make in your parenting goals. The future of this world and your child's life depends on what is most important to you today. Make sure you share all of your wisdom and strength with your child today - she/he needs all the help they can get.

Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser; teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. ---Proverbs 9:9


God loves you,

Debbie

No comments: