Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

What to do when it hurts.....

I have several different things I do when life seems to crash in around me.  I may pull out a favorite book and read it.  I may put on some good music or take a walk.  I love to listen to Dr. Foth or my Dad preach an inspiring message.  Maybe...if I only have a second....I'll read a quick quote for a moment of inspiration.  Something like, "If the mountain was smooth you couldn't climb it." 

There are two items that seem to get my motor running quicker than anything.  I love to watch the video my son made about his transformation.  It's like fine dining to feast on the words of a dedicated youth.  Reinvention of Ken

The second item I use for those days when life seems too heavy to bear.  I need something that will lift me away from thinking of myself and set my eyes on thinking about things eternal.  Wintley Phipps sang for the Billy Graham Crusades.  He has a wonderful voice.  In this video he tells about how he came to sing for them.  He explains that it was a "hook-up from Heaven". 

I need those kinds of hook-ups in my life.  It's inspiring to know that they happen.  It's what he ends that story with that helps to soothe whatever pain I'm experiencing. 

"It is in the quiet crucible of your private personal sufferings that your noblest dreams are born.  And God's greatest gifts are given in compensation for what you've been through!"

Wow!  Don't you feel totally alone in your sufferings?  Haven't there been times when you know you are doing the right thing but it's stripping the very life out of you.  In those moments don't you wonder if anyone else can see you - or your work? 

Yet...Wintley is right.  It's at that very lowest point that we seem to envision our noblest dreams.  We seem to see a clearer path to a better answer. 

When I'm in the middle of one of those times it is so helpful to be reminded that God does see and that he is preparing his greatest gift - "In compensation for what I've been through!"  Praise God....he loves me, he wants his best for me and he will never forget me or forsake me! 

Then Wintley sings a song that lifts my eyes to the most important thing in life.  The thing that drives me and gives me purpose.  The thing that is the most important goal in life.  It's the only thing that really matters and the only thing that will survive and continue when death ends my physical presence.  My soul.  Is my soul healthy?  Is my soul saved?  Is my soul taking the journey that God designed for me?  Is my soul in pursuit of Heaven and Heavenly things?  This song answers all those questions by saying...."It is well with my soul!"

I hope you enjoy this video as much as I have.



God loves you,

Debbie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Debbie, you always seem to know what someone needs to hear!
Mike May