Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lincoln - the Emancipation Proclamation

The Emancipation Proclamation brought to you by American Minute

The first reading of the Emancipation Proclamation
Just 70 miles from Washington, DC, the Battle of Antietam took place on September 17, 1862.


It was the single bloodiest day in the Civil War with the North and the South both losing over 10,000 men.

This costly battle convinced Britain and France not to recognize the Confederacy.

A week later, President Lincoln announced he would issue an Emancipation Proclamation, effective January 1.

Three weeks after the battle, on OCTOBER 6, 1862, President Lincoln met with Eliza Gurney and three other Quakers, saying:

"We are indeed going through a great trial...In the very responsible position in which I happen to be placed, being a humble instrument in the hands of our Heavenly Father...as we all are, to work out His great purposes..."

Lincoln continued:

"But if, after endeavoring to do my best in the light which He affords me, I find my efforts fail, I must believe that for some purpose unknown to me, He wills it...

If I had been allowed my way, this war would have ended...But we find it still continues...We must believe that He permits it for some wise purpose of His own."

Lincoln concluded:

"We cannot but believe that He who made the world still governs it."

 
 
 
I love the way our forefathers recognized the purpose and plan of God.  I also am amazed at how they fully understood that humans are not always able to comprehend the plan of God.  I struggle with that on a daily basis.  I am always wondering how my current circumstances fit with the plan and purpose of God.  Even as I struggle with his will, I do not allow my simple human spirit and the inability of my understanding  - to ever demote God because I can't understand him.  Instead I choose to trust Him....confident that He has my best interest and the best interest of the world in mind.
 
My mother wrote a song about this very problem.  Her CD and sheet music are now being offered on my store.  You can find I Don't Need to Understand at My Store
 
The first verse goes like this...."Sunshine comes and sunshine goes, then shadows linger;  Darkness fills the night with mystery and care.  But within my heart a gentle voice reminds me, “Fear no evil,” Jesus said, “for I’ll be there.”
 
The chorus affirms President Lincoln's thoughts.  "I don’t need to understand, I just need to hold his hand.
I don’t need to ever ask the reason why.  For I know He’ll make a way thru the night and thru the day;
I don’t need to understand, I just need to hold His hand."


God loves you,

Debbie

No comments: