Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday prayers for this country

If I had a quarter for every time someone has told me that this country is deteriorating or that we are in trouble or that....pardon me....."We are going to h-e-double toothpicks in a hand basket!"  If I had a quarter for those statements I'd be a rich person right now.

Every where you go someone has something bad to say about America.  I'm a fix-it-person.  If I see something wrong I want to fix it.  I love to take something old and make it new again.  But the problem is so big and so intertwined with corruption and evil that I'm not sure I can do anything but pray.

About 5 years ago I was fed up with the liberal views of the main media.  I just didn't believe that most people actually agreed with their views.  When liberal progressive thought began to show up in their entertainment, I stopped watching.  I haven't watched a show on ABC,NBC or CBS in over 5 years now.  Marketing people should take note....their companies have lost the ability to reach me - but that's a side note.

What I do watch is Fox cable news, TV land - for shows like Andy Griffith and a few old movies on TCM.  Most of the time if I want to watch a movie I purchase my own.  That way I control what I spend my precious time on.

Being more responsible for the content that gets my time led me to watch a Glenn Beck show.  I was amazed.  I liked the way he provided a lot of research for every idea or philosophy or accusation he made.  He backed up his opinions not with just the written word which can so often be misleading - but rather video's of actual speeches and conversations.  I began to watch him regularly.  I found him to be a humble man.  I liked the way he could feel deeply about this country or his family.  When his concern was overwhelming and brought him to tears, I cried with him. 

When he began to talk about the founding of this country and presented his "Faith, Hope and Charity" programs, I was moved to finally hear a teacher talk about the exceptionalism of this great country.  Now it was my turn to start the tears flowing.  I cried as he shared the faith of our founding fathers and how that faith was the cornerstone of building this country.

Imagine how my mouth dropped open when I heard Glenn Beck - a national television commentator - say...."This country needs to turn back to God.  That is our only best hope!"  At that moment I felt the hair stand up on the back of my head.  This is exactly what my Christian friends and I had prayed for.  We must turn this country back to God in order to ever get control of the problems we have.  Unfortunately we've been sued, lied to, pushed, shoved and indoctrinated into believing that God has no place in American public life.  Glenn was proudly standing on public television and announcing that he was not going to let liberals and progressive take away our Christian voice!

I thought about doing this post many times.  But....so many good Christians were negative about his mission and his show that I decided to continue to listen and be sure that I could give him a 100% recommendation.  Yes, he is a Mormon.  But over and over I've heard him say, "Return to your own church and your own faith and reconnect with God."  He does not push his Mormon faith - he is trying to inspire people to return to their own faith!  He's had multiple ministers and faith leaders on his show and he's announced many times that he is not a minister.  Do I agree with everything he says about faith or personal convictions - no.  But the truth is that I rarely agree 100% with anyone I know.  I have friends that totally disagree with me about spiritual points.  So I asked myself....do I believe that his overall message of turning this country back to God is right?  Absolutely!  Do I believe that his research is honest and without prejudice?  Absolutely!

The most extraordinary thing he does is to encourage his listeners to do their own research and make up their own minds.  He gives you the websites and places to go to read what he's read and make up your own mind.  He often says that he does NOT want you to follow him or his ideas but rather that he wants you to "Question with boldness" and make up your own mind.

I believe 100% that he is promoting the only way that this country will ever be healed and restored to her great purpose.  We must be willing to dedicate our lives to God and to restoring this country to a Christian Nation.  Does that mean I believe in taking away the freedoms or opinions of those that disagree with my faith?  NO, absolutely Not.  What I do believe is that this country was founded on Christian principles and that we must respect that, honor people that are Christians and refuse to ignore their contribution to this country.  If atheist and progressives are trying to shove Christians out of the way and make this a non-Christian nation - then we better speak up and speak up quickly before we lose our right to worship freely.  I personally believe that God has blessed this country because we honored God.  To turn our backs on Him and deny that He is the author of this great land would be disastrous.

I'm not going to insist that I know how you should participate in this movement back to God.  I just wanted you to know that you can get a lot of good information from The Glenn Beck show.  I do believe that we all have a part to play and that we should be involved in some way.  I will pray that God will lead us all and help us know what to do to help our struggling nation.

As you all know, I'm caring for my 82-year old mother who broke her foot.  Getting around is very difficult and because of that we haven't been attending church.  This beautiful Sunday morning I decided to click over to The Restoring Honor Rally and watch the entire rally.  Until now I've only watched pieces.  I cried and prayed and was so moved by what happened there that I decided now was the time to do this post. 

I encourage you to go to the Watch Glenn Beck Show website as often as you can and get involved in the process to turn this country around.  I believe that Glenn is sincere and that he does not want to side track you from your own faith.  I also believe he is doing all he can to present the "truth" about what is happening to this country.  If you want to get to the show website quickly, you can use my link in the right sidebar.

I hope you will watch the rally and pray for our country.  I hope you will be as moved as I am to join the fight to restore America to her best.  I pray that together we can have the same impact as our forefathers and make this country once again a light on a hill for the entire world!

God Bless America!

God loves you,

Debbie

No comments: