Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Easter

What does Easter mean to you?

 Stuck in my bedroom recovering from surgery, my Easter is void of all the things I normally do.  I won't be shopping for an Easter dress.  I won't be planning a big meal.  I won't see children dressed in cute spring outfits (although sadly most people don't do that anymore).  I won't see an Easter play or hear an Easter Cantata (again sadly...many churches have dropped those).  So....what does Easter really mean?

I could give you a pat answer and point to the Resurrection story and to movies like The Passion of the Christ.  I could quote scripture or recite things I've learned over the years. 

Maybe what I'm really asking is what does it mean to my daily life....how does this once a year observance change me?  Considering those questions took me more than a few moments.  I think I finally have an answer for you.

I believe it's possible for someone to say, "Yeah, sure...I believe in God."  "Oh sure....I think Jesus was born and lived a good life."  "Of course I'm a Christian....or a Catholic....or a Presbyterian...." 

It's amazing though, how quiet people get when faced with the Crucifixion and Resurrection.  They may float with you when it comes to the Crucifixion, because after all....many people were crucified in that day.  But the Resurrection....hum....That's when they get nervous, shuffle their feet and nervously clear their throat. 

Yet....for the dedicated Christian none of the events of Jesus life, none of the miracles are as important as the Resurrection.  Without the Resurrection there is no hope.  Our lives may be easier if we live by the Ten Commandments simply because we will avoid the complications caused by breaking those rules. Our relationships may be stronger because we are kind and forgiving.  But the future would still be hopeless, frightening and our life here on earth would be without purpose.  Without the Resurrection doubt would move in and our faith would be a constant struggle.

The Easter Resurrection is where the Christian faith gets its validity.  Without the Resurrection Jesus is just a good man with a great message.  But with the Resurrection he provides clear proof of the theme of his message....."Believe in me and you shall have everlasting life!"  It's like desert that's good for you.  You get His love and a sweet life followed by an eternity of more of the same. 

Wow!  It just doesn't get better than that!

Happy Easter,

God loves you,

Debbie

No comments: