Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

I guarantee you a Merry Christmas, if.....

Ron and I are experiencing a Christmas unlike any other. So many traditions and things we love have been cancelled. It is extremely hard for Ron to do any of the normal daily activities. He's in a lot of pain and not used to the crutches. He's unsteady and has to have help getting in the shower or even shaving.

I was holding the mirror this morning (He can't stand that long so has to sit by the sink), while he was trying to shave. I turned my head and heard him laugh. "Great view of the ceiling!" I turned back to see that I had relaxed my hand and the mirror was pointed toward the ceiling. We both had a great laugh.

As I helped him back to the bed he apologized for causing so much trouble. (He's such a wonderfully considerate man) I told him it was my privilege to take care of him and that I thought we were lucky. He caught the spirit and we had a good 15 minutes of "It's a wonderful life Christmas!"

Wow...tell me Debbie, what could you have said to get that feeling?

A lot of people don't sing the old hymns anymore. One of my favorites is Count your Blessings. The first verse goes like this.

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.

Count your blessings name them one by one
Count your blessings see what God has done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your many blessings, see what God has done.

When I was very young at least once a month my Dad (a pastor) would have testimony services. We would sing songs and between the songs people would stand and give a "testimony" of faith. Sometimes it would be in the form of asking for prayer. But most of the time it would be an acknowledgement of how God helped them through or maybe how blessed they were in comparison to other folks.

I remember one time hearing a dear old saint express how lucky she was. She stood and smiled at the crowd. She only had two teeth. But with grace and faith in her creator she announced, "Isn't it wonderful that the two teeth I still have meet. That way I can chew my own food."

Ron and I sat on the bed and thanked God that only one foot was hurt. After all, it could have been both legs. "And thank God, you're strong enough to use the crutches. They always hurt my hands."

"I know Debbie, you're hands aren't very strong. Thank God I have my family around me to help me with this situation."

"Yes, and Thank God you have strong sons to help you get up and down the stairs."

"I'm so thankful your parents are here with us. They are doing all they can to help."

"I know. I'm also thankful that Mom is making my very favorite cake today."

"Me too!"

So all my wonderful friends....I know that no matter how bad things get, you can Count your blessings. If you do, I guarantee that you will find out you are blessed more than you thought. I also promise you will find that there is still good in this world and that you still have a Wonderful Life.

Merry Christmas! I'm so thankful that God's Son is still with us!

I love you all and I know God loves you too.

Debbie

No comments: