Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Politics vs. Parenting


I like to be honest, even in my daydreaming. I was thinking about my childhood in the 50's and 60's. What a wonderful time it was!

I remember soft ball games on a steamy Saturday afternoon. I remember sitting on the front porch with a slice of cold watermelon and being told that nice little girls didn't spit the seeds. I remember listening to classical music and letting my emotion rise and fall with the swells and power of the music. It was as if I were being carried on a wonderful boat ride over great waves and into calmer waters. I remember laying in the grass and watching the clouds go by.

Sunday's were fun and exciting. I had clothes that were only worn on Sunday because we dressed our best to attend "God's Home". My friends and I sat on the third row, giggled and laughed as we hashed over the week. We sang at the top of our lungs and each made a commitment to a journey with God. Sunday lunch was a home cooked meal that would rival the best restaurant. 90% of the time we shared that great meal with some family from the church. After helping Mom with the dishes we would take an afternoon nap and return to church for an amazing evening service of testimonies and prayer.

We weren't consumed with television. In fact, there was always something more interesting to do, but...we often watched the news or a funny variety show. Red Skelton and Andy Griffith were some of my favorites.

We knew there was a war in Vietnam. We knew there was trouble in Washington and we knew hippies were promoting drugs and finding their way into crime. Even with all the problems we faced, what the media won't tell you is that there was an overwhelming desire rising from the public. That desire was to be "decent" and to protect "innocence". Public outrage was at it's highest when some criminal had abused or hurt an innocent child or a group of Christians or a helpless woman. When those things happened, it wasn't the criminals rights the public worried about - instead, the officials had to worry about isolating that criminal. If they didn't he most likely would be killed by other inmates or someone from the general public.

Unfortunately that is not today's America. Today, America protects criminals and sues the innocent. Before you get discouraged, there is hope.

Please Debbie, tell me where!

Our hope for a better America is living in your home. You have the power to change America by how you raise your child. You are designing the future by what you teach and promote in your home. Want an example? I'll give you a million examples.

Every adults actions and attitudes began in the home they were raised in. Contemporary psychology wants you to believe that as a parent you have no influence over your child. Once they reach teen years they will "always" rebel and therefore nothing you do prior to that really matters. So....parents relax and slide their way through those parenting years.

When the world changes for the worse parents shrug it off as something they couldn't prevent. However, when their adult child goes in for counseling - what is the first question a counselor will ask? What type of relationship did you have with your parents.?!

Wait a minute! You can't have it both ways. If a parent doesn't have the power to change a life, then he shouldn't be blamed when the life goes wrong.

That's the trouble - You do have the power. And unfortunately we have sat on that power way too long and now the world has major problems. We can't afford to sit around anymore. We have to be concerned about politics because we MUST retain our right to raise a "decent" adult. We MUST be concerned about the laws Washington is making because they will either help our cause or hurt it. If we continue to go about our merry way without paying attention to the world around us - the sea of devastated lives will overtake us.

It's a big job and yet I promise you it's a fulfilling one.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed." Bob Riley

How will America change? By the choices of those young children living in your home! And you must teach and train them. It's a big job, but you can do it! I know you can.

How do I know? One by one our young children are leading the way. Today I heard about a young man who is undergoing severe attacks because of his beliefs. McKay Hatch is only 14. Yet, he's received over 60,000 hate e-mails, threats on his life and his families life and promises of beatings. For what? Because he believes the world will be a better place if we don't cuss. I saw him on Fox today and when the reporter asked him if he was scared he replied, "Sure, but I'm not going to let a bully tell me what to think or how to act. I can't let the bullies win!"

Wow! What courage and what a fine job those parents are doing. McKay is making a difference. Over 30,000 people have signed a commitment not to cuss.

Our nation is consumed with bad attitudes, angry language and lifestyle of hate - and our government is promoting that we allow that type of behavior in the name of freedom of speech.

When I'm out shopping I hear parents yelling obscenities at their children and I worry about the personal mental attacks that poor child has to endure. How childish. How abusive.

How can we let a 14 year old child take up our fight? I encourage you to go to his website and support the work he's doing. http://www.nocussing.com/

And, my struggling parent....I know you are busy. I know you are worried about how you are going to survive the financial crisis. How are you going to get through another day of wearing 8 different hats and feeling like a failure at all of them? I PROMISE WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER.

You can be informed and raise your children. You can find time for rest and relaxation. You can raise a healthy, dedicated and happy child. Join me in the pledge to "raise" a better America. I'm here. We can do this together. I have answers and together we can change the world!

God loves you,

Debbie

No comments: