Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Friday, November 7, 2008

MR. Obama is NOT "my" president!

Before you blow coffee out your nose, I hope you will listen to my reason for that statement.

I want to make it clear that this blog entry is about my decision - it is not about the integrity of my many democrat friends. I may not understand their decisions, but I accept them and will continue to love them and appreciate their lives. Unfortunately, many Christians around this country are suffering. They feel their votes were based on solid Christian principles and they simply can't flip flop and accept this president. This blog is about "our" struggle and why I feel we don't have to accept Mr. Obama.

I have NEVER been a person who spouts off or makes undocumented claims. I believe that I am called by God to seek wisdom and truth in everything I teach. I believe that God will deal harshly with me if I lead even one person away from his teachings. For that reason, I spend a lot of time searching for truth. I listen carefully to both sides and try to make "wise" evaluations. Therefore, before this election - back during the summer - I spent a lot of time fasting and praying asking God for Discernment.

Many Christians have forgotten about Discernment. It's a gift from God. It's not flashy and center stage like prophecy or healing miracles - but it is a gift from God. It comes and goes as God wills so you have to be extremely careful about your feelings or motives - but discernment is a gift from God. What does it mean? "Keen perception or judgment; insight." To discern means "to perceive or recognize the difference, to discover, to recognize and spot the truth."

Wow! I think that's the best gift of all. To be able to look at a situation or person and "discern" the truth. But....I don't think discerning is accomplished with just "feelings". True discernment is accomplished first with feelings and then documented by wisdom and puzzle like pieces that can give an overall structure to your belief. Do you realize that the most grotesque evils that have happened in all of the history of the world - happened because no one "discerned" the truth laid before them?

Knowing that this "discernment" thing could be muddled by emotions, I spent many hours before the election reading, praying and fasting. I worked the polls on election day from 6am until 10pm. I listened to a lot of opinions that day. When I arrived home and watched some of the early predictions I began to pray, turned the TV off and went to bed. I spent the next day - no TV - in the living room alone with my Bible. I read scriptures and prayed.

I cried - not because my pick lost - I cried because I applied the principles of philosophy I learn in college to this situation and I felt afraid. I begged God to inhabit me and to let me see America through his eyes. I begged God to guide and direct every emotion, every feeling and above all every belief I had. Then I kept quiet and waited. I waited for God to allow all the praying and reading and sitting at his feet to take root in my heart.

In a college philosophy class, our professor presented all types of religions and eastern philosophies. I still remember the look on his face when he said, "Now my eager young minds, it's time for you to find truth." He pointed to several books. "We have read all kind of philosophies - I want evidence as to why they won't work." For days we tried to logically debate them and find holes in their teachings. We tried to pin their false ideas to the wall with simple cliche's like, "It's not of God" and "The word of God teaches against it." Finally, in a gesture of frustration, he climbed on his desk and stood like a tower of strength. He stomped his foot and yelled,

"Every philosophy must be judged on it's end results - never on it's beginning or middle. The beginning and middle can be good and even sound in it's teaching, but the proof is in the end result! That's why I am a Christian. I have watched Christians face the "end" of their lives and their faith is just as potent then as it was in the beginning." He went on to say that NOTHING in this world can be judged as truthful if the criteria is success. The most successful people in the world have been the most evil. Success can only measure the ignorance or apathy of the people who allowed the success.

Truth can never be measured by success. Truth is often buried in the failures of men. When Jesus was crucified who was dancing? Who was celebrating and feeling success? Peter wasn't. Judas certainly wasn't. And even when Jesus rose again....did Cesar turn and say - wow....that Christianity was right? No. The disciples were scattered and everyone felt the agony of defeat!

Until.....the true ending. Jesus appeared to the disciples to reassure them, but the failures and defeat continued. Success didn't arrive during the disciples lifetime. It wasn't apparent during the sufferings of the many Christians that were beaten and jailed. Truth came forth only when the individual died and in a split second was able to reassure his loved ones that Truth had won.

To give in and say that Obama is God's pick because he was successful at the polls is to deny a basic TRUTH. Success doesn't equal Truth or Right. If he was the wrong Christian pick before Tuesday - he is the wrong pick now!

I have never forgotten my professor's powerful statement or his gesture. I've never forgotten his face and determined fist as he proclaimed God as the only logical and powerful power. It is by that rule that I judge everything I do. How will my actions today change the world tomorrow? How will my actions and beliefs at this moment change my family dynamics. By using the detective abilities I learned in that class, I have been able to find Truth in many trying times.

How do I know I'm right? I've often made the statement that if anyone can show me a way of life that's better than my faith in Christ I will change. Bold words. Some people have even felt those words were a denial of my faith. NO WAY! Either I have a tight grip on TRUTH or I'm living a lie. And the only way I can be certain that I have a tight grip on TRUTH is to let it be tested. I am 57 and no one (many have tried) has been able to shake my faith. Why? Because I continually test it and I know it's true.

It is my ability, talent and discernment that I will use to discuss Mr. Obama. You are more than welcome to challenge me and join in the discussion.

Mr. Obama may have assumed the position of president and he may live in the White House, but he is not "my" president. Many of my Christian friends have been alarmed because I won't graciously wave a flag of surrender and pat him on the back. They are alarmed because I won't pledge my support and try to bring peace to those around me. My own denomination (that I dearly love) has encouraged me to accept him as "appointed by God".

Sorry....no can do. There is huge evidence to support that accepting this man is not good for our country, our children and our faith. The evidence was true before the election and 3 million people can't erase the truth. I can prove that an acceptance of Mr. Obama is NOT the Christian way to handle this. It is NOT scriptural to accept evil practices nor is it scriptural to stand beside and support someone who is anti-christian. And....it will hurt your family, your faith, your child's ability to accept your faith and your personal psyche to do this.

Since this is going to be such a long lesson....I'll tackle it in three days. In order to find TRUTH, we have to look at history, psychology and the scriptures to find our evidence.

HISTORY

I've watched a lot of documentaries and movies about WWI and WWII. It has never ceased to amaze me how Hitler came to power. Didn't someone see his potential for evil? Didn't anyone speak out and hold a Wednesday night service to discuss the evils of Mein Kampf?

In his book, The Frog in the Kettle, George Barna lays a framework for Christians in America. "The signs we need to perceive are not vague predictions about the future - many are present realities. The trouble is that they occur so gradually that we often do not notice them."

He goes on to illustrate by telling how to boil a frog. If you try to put a live frog in a boiling pot of water, he will jump out immediately. He can tell that it's a hostile environment. If however, you place a frog in room temperature water and slowly increase the temperature, he will contently paddle around until he is boiled to death.

Mr. Barna goes on to say, "The Christian community in America might be expected to be more aware of current changes in the environment than the frog in the kettle. Yet, for the past two decades, at least, the church has been generally insensitive to those changes. We have continued to operate as though our environment has remained the same. Like the frog, we are faced with the very real possibility of dying because of our unresponsiveness to the changing world around us."

The question for me becomes.....why isn't the church a driving force that "changes" the world around us. History tells us that the Roman Catholic church knew what was going on and refused to intervene. How many Jews might have survived if the church had gotten word to America in time to stop the growth of the Nazi party? After we won the war the Catholic church released an apology to the Jews. Too little, too late?

Growing up in the 50-60's, I recall church services where people would pray until the sun came up. I remember men and women banding together to pray for a lost son. Night after night I attended revival services where people stood in circles to pray for loved ones and to beg God to save them. I also remember sitting quietly with my doll waiting for the offering plate to pass by when a man came screaming into the service. "God Help Me!" He screamed. He ran to the alter as everyone gathered around to pray for him. You guessed it....he was one of the men we had prayed for all week.

Where is the power of churches? When did Christians decide that working overtime and going to soccer practice was more important than 5 nights of revival services?

No.....I'm not getting off the subject. This is the subject. If we as Christians have lost our God Given power to take on the evils of this world --- look out! We need strong Christians that are willing to stand in the face of evil and shout about it.

Oh Debbie....now you've gone off the deep end. I guess you plan on becoming one of those tambourine slapping holy rollers that no one respects.

No, darling. I AM a Bible believing Christian that will not bow. It is impossible to be a Christian without drawing lines. We either stand for what's right or we don't. We are either a believer or we aren't. The worst thing that's happened in the Christian faith is that we have sold out for the sake of acceptance. Anytime you decide to cushion a belief in order to gain the approval of another person - you have sold out.

Think about Peter. He had walked and talked with the Savior. He knew what was right. But he was scared. He didn't want to venture out of the safety of the crowd. He wasn't sure what would happen if he did. So...he denied Christ, not once or even twice. He made a conscious effort to deny him three times. All because he was worried about how he would appear if he was cut from the crowd.

What does this have to do with Obama? A lot. In my search for truth I found a huge mountain of reasons he could never be "my" president. He stands for every policy that is poised to take away my religious freedom. He also stands for many acts that tear at the basic beliefs of Christianity. I even went on the democrat website and read their party statements. I was appalled. There is no way I could align myself with any of their beliefs. I am amazed at anyone who claims Christianity that could align with that party. It is the opposite of the basic teachings of Jesus. I can only assume that my friends and loved ones who cling to that party simply do not know what the party is doing.

My next question then is why? Why would people claim to be Christians and agree with a party that is trying to eliminate God in every public arena and thinks it's perfectly fine to kill healthy babies? Is it fear that drives their alliance? Is it the need to be accepted? Or the desire to carry on a tradition of their fathers?

The Bible is very clear on what we are to do when our faith conflicts with public opinion or even the will of the person in power. In the Old Testament we read in Daniel about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. There are powerful lessons on how they acted toward the King. They didn't try to overthrow him or lead an army into a civil war - but when push came to shove and their faith was questioned - there was no other choice for them.

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

WOW! Did you get that? No apologies, no fussing or fighting...just a simple statement - "We do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter - WE WILL NOT BOW!"

For those of you who haven't studied that story, their simple statement infuriated the king and he heated the furnace so hot that the guards surrounding it were dying. Then he tied them up and had them thrown in. God taught Nebuchadnezzar a lesson by not only saving those men but walking around in the fire with them.

Do you realize that God can't do miracles in your life if you aren't willing to step out of your comfort zone and take a stand for him. God can't fight fires with a wimp! He can't change nations with a scaredy-cat and He can't work through a person who rides the fence.

In philosophical terms - you can't argue both ways. Either God is God and is able to take care of you no matter what or He is powerless.

Daniel was another example. He resisted the reigning power at Babylon. The royal mandate was issued, but Daniel did not obey it. He was commanded to stop praying where others could see him. He didn't take an add out in the paper and he didn't chop off the messengers arm. He also didn't come along side the man of authority and pat him on the back. He simply opened his curtains and knelt three times a day and gave thanks before his God as he had always done. The king tried to get rid of him by throwing him in the lions den. Once again God came to the rescue and closed the lion's mouth.

How about Peter and John? The Jewish council at Jerusalem commanded them to stop speaking in the name of Jesus. Here's their answer....

They boldly answered, "Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and hear. Where the law of a nation or the command of an earthly ruler conflicts with the law of God, then it is clearly the Christian's duty to obey God rather than men."

In other words, Peter and John refused to bow to the will of those in authority over them because they were asking them to deny their allegiance to God.

My district pastor tried to use Romans 13:1-4 to say that

Obama's presidency is appointed by God.
Christians should lead the way in supporting Obama
Obama can be a force for good and a deterrent against evil
Obama is God's minister to you for good

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!!!!

I love the men and women of my denomination that have given their lives to lead our churches. But this type of thinking will make us weak stupid sheep that can be lead to slaughter at any time. While Romans 13:1 does ask us to submit to governing authorities - we must ask the question - which ones? All governing authorities? Has every person that has every been in a place of authority been a GOD chosen man? If that's true then why in the world did we go to WWII? Why not accept the authority of Hitler? Why didn't we read the accounts of children being beheaded and thrown live into fire pits and simply say - Submit to the authority God has chosen!

Because - the TRUTH of the matter is that God did not put Cesar in a position to kill endless Christians - he simply didn't send a lightning bolt to kill him.

God didn't put Nebuchadnezzar in place so he would kill three men in a furnace, but he did provide a way of escape.

God doesn't put presidents in the White House - we do! I could spend another three days writing about the Christian view on "free Will" but just take my word for it. We have a choice to serve God or not based on free will. Because of that free will, God has promised that he will move in our lives but he will not "Force" anything on us. We have the free will to say no.

Now....if that's true....why would God go all over this country and "force" people to vote for Obama? Did he go in the booth with Christians and use his power to make them push the Obama button? No...Obama is in the White House because too many Christians refused to look at the facts. They turned their backs on dying babies, teens who want to carry their Bibles to school and little old ladies who don't want TBN forced off their TV's. They didn't research and find out that Obama wants to make sure that when you appear before a judge that the judge will consider your faith before he considers the facts.

God had nothing to do with Obama's win - you did that. And when we begin to lose our freedoms it won't be God's fault - it will be yours.

I'm hoping and praying that my wonderful denomination will seek wisdom and pray about where we stand. I have instantly forgiven my district pastor and hoped that his speech was out of desperation and he was only trying to keep everyone calm.

I want to encourage you to look at history once more. We can find great comfort and hope in our past.

Imagine for a moment that you are a devout Christian living in the home of your heritage - Berlin. You have watched Hitler come into power and you are fearful for your Jewish friends. We all like to wear the shirts and bracelets that proclaim WWJD "What would Jesus Do". But for a moment close your eyes and imagine you are in Germany. What would you do?

Would you run to the street corner and watch Hitler pass by? Would you stick your hand in the air and yell, Hile as he passed by? Would you give your support and claim him as your leader?

Or like Jesus would you walk quietly among the people and share your faith. Would you ask others to pay attention to the events of the day? Perhaps like Jesus you would keep a low profile answering questions in such a way as not to disturb the ruling class. Things like, "Give unto Cesar's what is Cesar's and give to God what is God's."

Like Jesus perhaps you would gently go against the rulers and help others on Sunday or reach out to those in need.

Perhaps you would be like Cori Ten Boon and keep a low profile by day and smuggle Jews out by night. Perhaps like her you would seethe with rage when your sister died in a consentration camp, vowing to preach the gospel till the day you die. When the war is over and you are finally able to speak freely, perhaps you would shout the gospel of freedom and the evil of oppression while your heart opens to forgive your captors.

This Gospel....this Holy Word....is very complicated. It requires us to be a meek as lambs but as cunning as foxes. It requires us to be loving and compassionate while we also accept the judgement and punnishment of God. This Gospel requires that we take a stand but do it so graciously and so thoughtfully that everyone will know our power comes from Almighty God.

So...

Let me repeat a part of the letter I posted by Huntley Brown.

I process my identity through Christ. Being a Christian (a Christ follower) means He leads I follow. I can't dictate the terms He does because He is the leader.


Taking his lead I will repeat....Mr. Obama is NOT "my" president! I voted based on my belief in Biblical principles. I will not flip flop and change those principles just because someone else voted based on race or a handout.

I won't go out of my way to be mean or rude. If Mr. Obama is walking down my street I won't go over and spit on him. I won't call him names or throw stones at his family.

If my new book (Arrived yesterday - get your copy now!) becomes a best seller and I'm invited to the White House for a celebration - I will respectfully decline. That is after all, my freedom and my right.

I will distance myself from him and I will fight to make sure he does as little damage as possible to "my" country. I will donate to watch groups that keep me informed of his sneaky tricks (frog in the kettle) and I will voice those tricks loudly to those who read this blog.

I will not allow women who aren't afraid like Ann Coulter to be my voice. I will not be ashamed to let the world know that I am a Christian, I am strong and I will stand for God's will - not the will of the majority.

I am not afraid of standing for TRUTH.....are you?

Think about History. Think about the many men and women who fought wars, suffered and died standing up for freedom. Think of our own ancestors who braved the ocean and wilderness so we could have the religious freedoms we have. Are you going to let them down because it's just easier to say nothing?

A great statesman once said, "All that evil needs to succeed is that good men do nothing."

God help us.

There is more to this subject. I hope you return Sunday when I discuss the Psychological reasons why you and I should not accept Mr. Obama as "our" president.

"Dear Heavenly Father, please give us wisdom. Help our blinded eyes to be opened and give us discernment about the future of our country. Give us strength. Don't let us be afraid - no matter what comes. Keep us calm and help us to exhibit your love."

God loves you,

Debbie

No comments: