Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Moo-o-o-o-o Oops!


I don't think I've ever laughed so hard. Spending the afternoon with Evan Dewall and learning about cows was a hoot! Or maybe I should say a Moo!

In fact, everyone was laughing and having such a good time being silly with me that the still photos didn't turn out. We do have video! It is being edited and will be available soon. Watch for the blog called City Gal meets a Country Cow.

Evan was a little taken back by all the preparation I'd done for the adventure. I took a vest and put pictures of cows on the front. I covered the back with a material that looked like cow hide. I wanted the cow to know I was his (oops - her) friend.

I was going to sing to her as well. I had decided that Moo-o-o-on River would be a nice tune. I also thought I could go with the rhythm of milking by singing "Shine on Harvest Moo-o-o-on". But since I found out that you have to be somewhat quiet or the cows might spook - my moo-ooing concert was cancelled.

Evan runs a huge operation. He has 100 cows that must be milked twice daily. He explained how the milking process is done and the procedure it takes to go from cow to processing plant. He has a nice operation, clean barn(as clean as it can be with cows) and spaces for 40 cows to wait for milking.

The cows weigh from 1,500-1,800 pounds each - and I thought I needed to lose weight. They stand about 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall.

Since all of Evan's cows are milked with a milking machine, he simply stood between two cows and showed me what to do. I thought I might be sitting on a stool with a bucket under the cow, but after seeing the strength of these animals I was glad it was only going to be a short session.



First Evan showed me how to milk and then he parted two cows so I could bend over and reach for an udder. I pulled on one and instantly got milk. I screeched a little and stood up facing Evan. All the cows had jumped and seemed a little nervous. Evan held his hand to his lips and said, "Shhh. Don't do that."

I giggled and cupped my hand to my mouth - until I realized where it had been!

Once again I bent over and began to milk. It didn't feel like I thought it would. It was warm and the udder was dry. It was like holding one of those long water balloons. I tried to do a two handed milk, but the cow had her leg in the way and I couldn't get around it. By this time I could hear Evan laughing. I finally giggled and gave up trying both hands.

I was glad that I didn't get pushy with the cow. When I stood up she decided to let me know how strong she was. She gave me a little rump push and I almost fell in the....well.....um....you know.

Evan showed me the milking apparatus and asked me to put my finger in one of them. I was surprised at the gentle way it massaged. I'm sure cows would much rather have this method than a nervous city gal. I placed them on her udders and I think she relaxed.

Evan took us to another barn where he kept calves. I had a ball feeding a 12 hour old calf. She was sweet and warm and still a little wobbly on her legs. The four day old calf next to her kept grabbing my hand and fingers anytime I moved close. Yes, I let her suck my fingers while I giggled and yelped, "Oh no?!?"

I had a great time on the farm. I hope you will get out there and do something fun with your family. God has put so many wonderful things on this earth.


Experiences without consequences are the best thing you can do with your family.


Keep watching for the video....you don't want to miss it!

God loves you, Moo-o-o-o-o

Debbie

No comments: