Click on all pictures in the sidebar to get the most from this blog. Pastor's Corner : Submit questions for three pastors - The Christian: Specific traits found in the true Christian - Abuse: An ongoing discussion of all forms of abuse - God's House: A study of God's demands on the church body - and many more.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Walk with me devotions

May 31, 2009


Have you ever wondered what it was like to live in Biblical times? I've often wondered what it would be like to sit in front of my single room mud built home and watch the crowds filter by.

Perhaps children would run in and out searching for attention or something to play with. The hot summer sun might cause me to move just inside the doorway for a little relief. Mother's with jugs of water splash down the alley while father's yell about scriptures and government. Occasionally a beggar can be heard whimpering for just a little food to eat.

In the middle of this human parade, trumpets blast the arrival of Roman guards. Their red attire, straight backs and sharp swords defy anyone to get in their way. Mother's grab their children and hug the walls while father's grit their teeth in defiance. I'm thankful to be inside my doorway and away from any possible contact.

The bustle resumes and I bend down to pick up a wineskin that fell from a Roman guards side. Another hand reaches for the wineskin. I look up and shade my eyes to see who it is. He moves his body between me and the sun. His cool blue eyes are deep caverns filled with heaven's love. I can't look away from those eyes. Eyes of compassion, acceptance and friendship. Not only do they provide extreme relief, but they seem to be searching my soul.

My heart is breaking from the weight of his overpowering presence. Tears splash down my robe. If only this love was for me. If only he was here for me. What could this stranger know of me? Why would he care for me?

He reaches out and gently touches my shoulder. He hands me the wineskin and smiles. I shudder and feel as though I might drown in my own tears. I try to speak but can't seem to breathe. He smiles, "I think this is yours. I do love you and I am here for you. Be made whole."

My body is trembling with excitement and healing. "Master," I finally whisper as he walks away. I drop to my knees knowing that I will never be the same.


Matthew 9:20-22

Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak. She said to herself, "If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed." Jesus turned and saw her. "Take heart, daughter," he said, "your faith has healed you." And the woman was healed from that moment.

1 comment:

Sherri Smith said...

Debbie, I love this story. I read another take on it from Max Lucado where he pointed out what that really meant for her. I had never thought about what it meant to be "unclean" in biblical times and all that she would have been excluded from. To put myself in her position and to consider what her life might have been like was interesting, to say the least. Her faith excites me..to be so focused on just touching the hem of His robe and to be so completely focused on getting to it no matter what has a certain desperation in it. After 12 years, I am certain that she was. I guess the addage "Desperate times call for desperate measures" is true. It's comforting to know that we have a God who is waiting for us to call on Him daily and not just in the desperate times.
Blessings on you today and always.